A Latin poet once wrote ‘Life is not merely to be alive, but to be well.” Wellness is about living healthfully, not because you have to, but because you love to, on every level. The funny thing is that when we stop thinking of our health as another bothersome responsibility and begin to yearn for the quiet bliss of a balanced life, we become thoroughly contagious- everyone wants to know why we glow from the inside out! Choosing to actively pursue wellness allows us to harvest our own healthy families through great nutrition, exercise, and immunizations this fall.
As the seasons change, so can we— let us find ways to unite our families through wellness by invigorating our daily routines. When it comes to nutrition, it is important to get everyone involved in making eating right the most satisfying priority. Infuse family time with energy and activity and use milestones or holidays to schedule your annual check-ups to ensure that you and your family ‘s health are just where they need to be.
- Watch portion sizes. For more information on portion distortion visit National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute.
- Get the whole family to contribute with food preparation, focusing on an exciting variety of fruits, vegetables, and whole grains.
- Make time to eat and enjoy meals together.
- Walk whenever possible— walk briskly through the store or plan a family walk after dinner.
- Move in your home— whether it is through yard work or getting things done around the house. Play upbeat songs as everyone is cleaning, to cheer up the mood and get them dancing as they clean.
- Plan a family hiking trip to enjoy the changing leaves this fall.
- Fall is recognized as flu season, so be sure to schedule your family’s annual immunizations to keep them full of energy and zest.
- Do you need help finding a primary care doctor? Call UPMC 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at 570-321-1000, or visit UPMCSusquehanna.org.